- It is with great sadness that we share with you of the passing of Thomas G. Allen, III. On December 6, 2012, the Lightning Class lost a legend. Allen, better known as Tom Senior, was a champion on and off the race course. He changed the fabric of our Class as founder of the Allen Boat Company. Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Allen family during this time. Special thoughts about Tom Senior.
- Superstorm Sandy blasts the US East Coast Lightning Sailors, leaves behind devastating flooding and damage. Check to see how local Lightning Fleets and clubs faired.
- Jonathan Lutz from Fleet 34/Metedeconk Yacht Club, became the first in ILCA racing history to follow a Junior North American Championships win with a victory in the North American Championship. He skippered Jonathan Pottharst and Reed Balderidge to the junior title at the Houston Yacht Club. A week later Jonathan won the open championship there, crewing under his father, Jody, with his uncle, Jay Lutz.
Jonathan was featured as one of Gary Jobson's Junior All Stars for 2012 in the Jan/Feb 2013 issue of Sailing World for his wins this past summer.
- Congratulations to our 2012 Olympic Competitors! The Lightning Class has a few sailors representing their individual countires in Weymouth. Best of luck to them all! Rob Crane, USA - Laser, Matias del Solar, Chile - Laser, Diego Gonzalez, Chile - 470, Bruno Prada, Brazil - Star.
- The sailing community suffered a great loss with the sudden passing of Dave Shaffer. Dave contributed countless hours of race committee work throughout the USA. Most notably, Dave served as PRO for many of the largest One Design events held at his home club of North Cape Yacht Club, including the 2011 Lightning North Americans. He's served dozens of classes, clubs and organizations. We will greatly miss his compassion, professionalism and most of all friendship. More information
- Congratulations to 2012 Boat Grant Recipients Jamie Simmons with crew Caroline Hall and Jeremy Henry. They will be active in the New England area. Tyler Braun with crew Jarrett Scherrer and Dustin Stauffer will be sailing in the Mid-Atlantic area. These teams will be kicking off the 6th year of this program! Thank you to the generous ILCA Members for making this program possible. 2012 Recipient Press Release
- The Southern Circuit Review Committee made a presentation durning the Winter meeting in St Petersburg and shared the findings from the Member survey. Review the results presentation. Please share any further thoughts with your District Commodore or any member of the Executive Committee. Thank you to everyone who participated. The Executive Committee will evaluate additional comments over the next few weeks and if necessary will make a recommendation at the August 2012 Meetings.
- A series of amendments were proposed for vote during the March 2012 Winter Governing Board Meeting, March 15, 2012 at 9am, Quarterdeck Room at the St Petersburg Yacht Club. Amendment 1 was passed and Amendment 2 was tabled until the August meeting. Amendment 3 is a 1-year proposed amendment specific to the 2012 North American Championship in Houston, TX and that passed.
- An amendment to the Constitution was passed during the Winter Meeting, March 15, 2012 - St Petersburg YC, 6pm in the Ballroom.
- Executive Committee Ruling regarding qualification ratio for North American Championship is 1:1
- It is with great sadness that we inform you of the passing of Gilbert Despland, Lac de Neuchatel Fleet 169. Despland was a longtime Swiss Lightning sailor, Fleet Captain and represented the Swiss sailors as Vice President of Switzerland on the ILCA Governing Board. He will be greatly missed.
- Rob Crane, son of Brenda and Jim, Darien, CT is going to represent the USA at the 2012 Olympics in the Laser Class!