Located on the shores of Western Lake Erie, eight miles north of the Ohio/Michigan border, North Cape Yacht Club offers its members and their families an appealing clubhouse and facilities conducive to sailing.
With a large sandy beach, easy boat access and Lake Erie just minutes away, it’s no wonder North Cape is considered ideal for the many national class championships. This summer was no exception.
Commodore Duane Burgoyne, the NCYC board and members welcomed several major championships with impressive numbers:
- ILYA (Interlake Yachting Association) Junior Sailing Advanced Racing Clinic (Coached by Skip Whyte, Vaughn Harrison and Chris Dold) (June 18-21 - 27 boats)
- International Lightning Class Association (ILCA) Great Lakes Championship and Ohio District Championship (July 9-10 - 37 boats)
- Snipe Nationals (JULY 23-29 - 38 boats)
- International Lightning Class Association (ILCA) Junior, Women’s’ and Masters North American Championship (August 3-5 - 34 boats)
- International Lightning Class Association (ILCA) North Americans Championship (August 7-11 57 boats)
- J-35 North American Championship (August 23-25 - 7 boats)
- Wednesday Night Weekly Race Series (60-70 boats)
To the benefit of the competitors and organizers, the principal race officer for all these championship events was US Sailing National Certified Race Officer David Shaffer with protest committee support from Chief Judge George Griswold, and area judges Dean Cady and Jim Keane.
The yacht club is a volunteer club with significant support for each of the events from nearly 75-100 members for each of these summers’ events. The club has a strong learn to sail program - both in Junior Learn to Sail, Competitive Junior Race Team and Adult Learn to Sail. The club is equally strong in one-design and big-boat sailing programs with activities focused on growing the sport of sailing. The club has a very healthy big boat series that sees over 60-70 boats regularly in their Wednesday night series as well as events throughout Western Lake Erie. In yet another testament to the champion spirit and focus, North Cape Yacht club is home of Olympic Champion & Three-time Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year Anna Tunnicliffe as well as US Sailing 2009 Champion of Champions, 2011 Thistle and Highlander National Champion Skip Dieball.
North Cape Yacht Club is definitely a sailors club. The entire membership is very warm and inviting to out of town sailors. The Flag Officers are very impressive and hands on. This summer they made sure each sailor was welcomed at all of their events and were willing to do anything to make each visitor comfortable. The amount of time that the members spent organizing and running 6 National events this summer was extraordinary. North Cape Yacht Club is certainly a club promoting the sport of sailing.