Top 10 Reasons...
Why Should You Attend the 2018 North American Championship in San Diego, California
July 24 - 28 - Mission Bay Yacht Club
10. The weather will be perfect. San Diego averages a daily maximum temperature for July that's between 72 and 77 degrees. Cool westerly breezes keep the temperature mild and the humidity low.
9. Mission Bay Yacht Club (MBYC) will host an incredible regatta. MBYC is a one-design yacht club, frequently hosting one design championships. In addition to the Lightning NAs, MBYC will be hosting the 49er National Championship and the CA Laser Masters in 2018.
8. MBYC facilities are very nice which include a large clubhouse, two hoists, ample secure gated boat storage, galley and kitchen, bar, patio, beach area and showers.
7. There’s plenty to keep you and your family entertained: The World Famous San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Sea World, Legoland, Gaslamp Quarter, Balboa Park and Petco Park (home of the Padres) are all close by. Disneyland, Disney’s California Adventure and Knott’s Berry Farm are less than 90 minutes away. Los Angeles is two hours away. And for the more adventurous, Mexico is 30 minutes away.
6. We will have free beer and the Mission Bay Yacht Club bar serves a world-famous Mat Tai.
5. Racing conditions will be perfect. Typical winds for July range between 8 and 12 knots with 12 to 16 knot gusts. You can count on westerly breezes every day. The chance of not racing a day due to lack of wind or even a race postponement is about zero.
4. The 2018 North American Championship is a country qualifier for the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru (4 slots)! It is also the US qualifier for the 2019 Lightning World Championship to be sailed in Finland, June 2019.
3. The Class is working on Trucking logistics to help get your boat from the East Coast to the West Coast.
2. Extracurricular activities include race debriefs from the best sailors in the class, a welcome dinner and a luau. It’s rumored that Todd Wake will be entertaining us with his hula dancing skills. We’ll see.
1. Did we mention that the weather will be perfect?
Click here for more information or to add your name to the Who's Coming List!
Printable 1 Page Flyer