FlashBlast - April 15, 2022
The Notice of Race for the World Championship has been amended. Please Review. The NOR now reflects the Executive Committee Action passed on April 4th.
The action temporarily suspends Document Governing All Sanctioned Lightning Class Championships, Articles Governing All Lightning Class World Championships, Article V. Entries, Section 3.3 The Class Office when filing slots shall not create a situation where one Country has more than 50% of the entered boats (the “50% rule”), for the 2022 Lightning World Championship.
The NOR to the Masters World Championship has been amended to include a Registration Cut Off Date of April 25, 2022. Due to space considerations at the host venue an actual boat count is needed prior to the start of the event. Please review the NOR.
If you were planning to sail the World Masters PLEASE REGISTER as soon as possible.
2022 World Championships - Carolina YC, Wrightsville Beach, NC, USA
- Charter Boat Information and other important information posted. Charter Boat Information, Event Documents
- World Master's Championship - May 12-16, 2022. Registration is limited to 80 boats. The Amended NOR is posted and registration is open Master's Yachtscoring Webpage This regatta is an Open event for Lightning Class Members who turn 55 (skipper) and total combined age of crew 130+ by December 31, 2022. LATE REGISTRATION FEE added as of April 7th and REGISTRATION Now CLOSES April 25, 2022.
- A schedule of events has been posted for both the World Master's and World Championships.
- The World Championship will take place May 16 - 21, 2022. The Notice of Race is published and Registration is LIVE Yachtscoring See REGISTRATION Deadlines below - REGISTER ASAP.
If you have qualified for the Worlds and are planning to attend PLEASE REGISTER ASAP.
April 1, 2022 - Registration deadline. (Late Fee of $100 begins after this date.)
May 1, 2022 - Registration closed.
Please contact the ILCA Class Office with any questions or confirmations.
2022 Harken Blockheads Youth World Championship
Scheduled for July 5-10, 2022 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA. 20 Boats representing 7 Countries have confirmed. We are looking forward to seeing sailors from: Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Greece, and the USA.
Youth Worlds Selection Deadlines
➢February 1, 2022: Each Lightning National Class Association or National Authority shall inform the ILCA class office of the number of boats it intends to enter.
➢ February 15, 2022: If a Lightning National Class Association or National Authority can not fill its two boat quota, those available slots will be reallocated to interested countries.
➢March 15, 2022: Each Lightning National Class Association or National Authority shall inform the ILCA class office of the specific competitors that will represent their country.
➢ April 15, 2022: Completed registration forms must be returned with the entry fee and damage deposit to the ILCA class office
Chief Measurer Joe Buczkowski's Blog...
Our Chief Measurer has been busy with memories from the 1992 Youth Worlds and some observations from the Moonshine Regatta that took place this past weekend. Be sure to check out the Chief Measurer's Blog on the Class Website.
From the Moonshine Regatta:
This past weekend saw the Dixie District open up its season with the traditional Moonshine Regatta hosted by the Virginia Inland Sailing Association on Mt Smith Lake. It is returning after a two year break due to the pandemic but came back with a fury! Below are his take aways:
- Even after two years off, the excitement remained just like it never stopped. A regatta isn't over just because you missed a year or two. It can always come back strong.
- After time off a good thorough inspection of your boat is in order. Some of the damage may have been avoided (or not) but at least with a look over you have a better chance!
- Never give up on an event if you can't bring your own boat. There are always others out there looking for a good crew and you just might be the spark that an upcoming team needs to help the get to the event. Of the teams there this weekend three boats had crew members who normally sail on other boats - Myself, Trevor Prior and Ed Lane. Each skipper was happy to have us on their boats and each of them mentioned it was nice and they learned from each of us. I also learned from Jim and Lisa-Marie, had a good time and a good reminder of what the crew does for us skippers!
2023 Panam Games - Country Qualifying Event Confirmed
MIXED DINGHY (regional) - LIGHTNING
The Country Qualification Process has been reviewed and approved by Panam Sports.
For the MIXED DINGHY CATEGORY - the 3-person crew must be comprised of 1 Male and 2 Females hailing from the same country.
Country Qualifying Events
2022 World Championship May 16-21, 2022 Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, USA/ 1 Boat/Country
2022 North American Championship September 14-18, 2022, Long Island, NY, USA/ 2 Boats/Countries
2022 South American Championship December 3 – 7, 2022, Guaratuba, Brazil/ 2 Boats/Countries
2023 “Pacific Cup” April 6-9, 2023, Algarrobo, Chile/ 2 Boats/Countries
Host Country/ 1 boat
TOTAL 8 boats /24 athletes
The Santiago 2023 Panam Games will be held October 25 – November 5, 2023.
The Sailing Events will be held in Algarrobo at the Cofradia Nautica del Pacifico. This is approximately 105 km west of Santiago, Chile.
There will be 12 events, 8 Olympic and 4 Regional. Of the 12 events, 4 are for Men, 4 are for Women and 4 are Mixed.
Full 2023 Panam Games Sailing Qualification System
Fleet 126 and the Cedar Point YC invite you to the 2022 WJM's!
The Notice of Race is posted and Registration is OPEN on Yachtscoring - Official Website, NOR, Registration, etc.
Lightnings are headed back to Cedar Point Yacht Club (home to Fleet 126) for the 2022 Women's, Junior's, and Master's North American Championship. The Club has hosted many national events; the last big one for the Lightning Class being the 2013 North American Championship.
We have 4 great days of racing and on-shore activities planned for you!
Junior sailors cannot turn 21 by 12/31/2022 and Master Skippers must turn 55 years of age by 12/31/2022 and have a total combined age of 130 or more by 12/31/2022.
Moonshine Regatta -Bob Wardwell, Bucky Buchanon and Bob's Grandson
Please be sure to submit your results with CREW NAMES to the Class Office. If you have a short summary and a few photos even better! If your regatta isn't listed here - be sure to add the event to the ILCA Event Calendar and send in results after the regatta!
Click on the event for more info or
If you need help listing your events please contact Laura in the Class Office.
Great Practice for the Worlds! Greg Fisher on hand Friday and Saturday to help teams practice.
Begin your sailing season with us on Geist Resv. NE of Indianapolis at a great club. This year we will again combine fleets with the Snipes. More boats, more fun to start the year.
New date for 2022 come and tune up before the Worlds
World Master's are back in North America and open to skippers 55+ with a total combined team of 130+ by 12/31/22. Wrightsville Beach offers fantastic ocean racing.
World's are back in North America. Wrightsville Beach offers fantastic ocean racing.
The Fern Ridge Reservoir is a big lake with 1.5-mile beats available for racing. Camping is allowed on the grounds. The food is wonderful after racing on Saturday. Come and relax in the shade of the big trees surrounding the clubhouse.
All friends, family, and sailors who wish to celebrate Jim’s life are invited. A one race regatta in Lightnings with Celebration to follow. Please join us for a tribute to Jim.
2022 Publication Schedule
March 1 Publication - REVISED APRIL 1 - Deadline ASAP!
June 1 Publication - May 16th deadline
September 1 Publication - Aug 15th deadline
December 1 Publication - November 11th deadline
Monthly E-mail Blasts on the 15th of each month.
Deadline is 7 days prior to the e-mail date.
During busier months (June, July and August) or as needed we will also add a second monthly blast on the 1st of each month.
Please send your submissions to the Class Office - firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to advertise in these publications please contact Executive Secretary Laura Jeffers at (727) 942-7969 or via the above email.
International Lightning Class Association
Laura Jeffers, Executive Secretary